Morris Claiborne move is big, bold


A surprise for LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne was not that he was picked sixth in the NFL draft. That was when he got a call from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

Claiborne said that he never said Cowboys leaders before they sell eight seats on Thursday evening to take on the all-American, which was considered as the best defensive back available.

"I do not see in the next few million years. I had no idea," Claiborne said. "We're not saying no, none at all. That's why it was a shock to me when I received a phone call."

While the Cowboys entered the draft in need of defensive playmakers, said John Claiborne was the only player they were ready to go to such great deals to get it.

Cowboys did trade with St. Louis, to send their number 14 pick and their second qualifying round, 45 overall, in the Baranov. This left Dallas with only one choice on Friday, 81 overall in the third round, but Jones can certainly try to do more steps.

Cowboys could not pass up a chance to Claiborne, № 2 players on the draft board just for Stanford defender Andrew Luck, who was expected was the first overall pick by Indianapolis.

"Use the word elite, we believe it," Jones said. "I think he is the choice of consensus and the consensus is the movement that I can never remember the day of our project."

It was the 59th draft-day trade for Jones, since he bought the team in 1989. It was the 18th time one of these transactions involved in his first-round choice.

Claiborne led Tigers six interceptions last season and won the award as the top of Jim Thorpe defensive back country. He had 11 elections in 26 games the past two seasons. He is also the top seed LSU returner averaged 25 yards a return, including 99 yards in West Virginia.

"I know that they have sacrificed to come down to me, but I feel like I'm this," said Claiborne. "I know that my talent, I know what I can do, and I feel that I can come in and immediately get a team, learn the system and compete."

Claiborne was asked about the fact that he scored poorly on the Wonderlic test, which is designed to assess the potential customer intelligence, problem-solving abilities and cognitive skills.

"I know what I'm human, I know that the tests do not reflect how I've learned or what I'm human," said Claiborne. "I looked at the test, there are no issues that come with football, so I pretty much blew the test .... I'm not here for football."

Jones said that the test results were "simply not an issue with us at all," and cowboys understand Claiborne in "the opportunity to play the game and play defense." Jones said that these estimates do not take into account how a player receives a briefing, or his football instincts and skills.

Among the people in Dallas talking about Claiborne was LSU coach Les Miles, a former assistant with the Cowboys.

Claiborne recovering from surgery done after the NFL combine to restore the damaged ligaments in his left hand.

Cowboys do not believe a serious injury, although it is plaster, and then will wear braces, keeping him out of action during a rookie minicamp next week, and other organized team activities in May and June. But they expected that he should be ready by the beginning of training camp in late July.

Cowboys have been like to add impact players defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

They actively participated in the free agent last month, signing cornerback Brandon Carr in the $ 50 million, five-year contract that includes $ 26.5 million guaranteed. Among the other free agents they signed safety Brodney Pool and linebacker Dan Connor.

Now they have used their high draft pick in 2003 - when cornerback Terence Newman was selected fifth overall - at the other corner.

Newman, a starter all nine of his seasons in the Dallas Cowboys was released, when the freedom to choose the start and has since signed with Cincinnati. Newman was a two-time Pro Bowl selection and started its 131,133 games for Dallas.

Number 6 selection of Dallas has received from St. Louis was one of the options Baranov received from Washington, which climbed to second overall a Heisman Trophy-winning defender Robert Griffin III of Baylor.

In April last year, in what was an unusual year lockout NFL, it was an unusual project Cowboys and Jones. Dallas has used only two of the eight elections on human rights defenders in 2011. It was only the second time in the ownership of Jones, Cowboys did not make any trades during the draft.

Cowboys have six choices in the draft this year, including two fourth round of the elections.

Earlier Thursday, Cowboys signed offensive tackle Jermey Parnell on the three-year contract. He appeared in six games last season.

Claiborne of Shreveport, Louisiana, about three hours drive from Dallas. Being suddenly took on Cowboys was a pleasant surprise for his family.

"To see the look on their faces ... all these guys are Cowboys fans" Claiborne said. "Always my whole family was Cowboys fans. I had no choice but to root for the Cowboys".

Comments (0)